Rectified / Rectifier Tubes
Evatco carries the following rectifiers.
- Sovtek 5AR4
- JJ GZ34 / 5AR4
- JJ 5U4GB
- EH 5U4GB
- Sovtek 5Y3GT
- JJ 5Y3S
- EH 6CA4 / EZ81
- JJ 6CA4 /EZ81
- Solid State Rectifier
I often am asked the following questions
- What does my rectifier do?
- Answer: Well as a short answer, the rectifier takes AC current and converts it to DC current
- Which tube is my rectifier tube
- Answer: If your amp has a rectifier tube it will more than likely be called one of the following names - 5Y3s or 5Y3gt - 5AR4 - 5U4GB - 6CA4 - EZ81
- Do I have a rectifier
- Answer: Not necessarily, while the process will need to exist in the amp you may not have a tube depending on the design or you may have a solid state rectifier
- Should I use Solid State or Tube
- Answer: Its hard to say really, Tubes have a natural sag to them in the right situation, e.g. SAG which is a term referring to a sponginess of the sound or a compressed feel to the tone comes from the tube itself trying to keep up the charge to the amp/ A solid state rectifier does not have the same issue so if you like a fast response then solid state may be for you.. Me, well I find that each has their benefits and I like both.